Friday, February 20, 2015

Is this the condition that I feared?

Well, here in Tennessee, it seems we're slowly escaping the great ice storm of 2015!  Not sure if any more winter is in store for us, but I'm about over it!  It makes me feel for all of those people up in Boston and greater New England who are forever trapped in snow and ice right now (on a serious note prayers/thoughts to all of those who have been without and have lost during this time).  We just got a small taste of this weather . . . and you can have it back!

On the other hand, as we sit this morning in our tiny apartment, it makes me feel very thankful.  We've been out of school all week and had a ton of unexpected free time.  It's given me a lot of time to think (I should note this can be very productive, but also very dangerous!)  My father used to tell me, "There will always be someone better off than you, but there will always be someone off worse."

This week we have been trapped inside the house and had to live off the basics (you can laugh)! We've done everything from puzzles to Harry Potter movies.  We've never once lost power.  We've eaten delicious snacks and cooked great homemade dinners.  We're sitting in comfortable clothes, drinking hot coffee, and watching the Today Show. Is this really that bad?  It reminds me of this quote:


"Set aside a certain number of days, during which you shall be content with the scantiest and cheapest fare, with course and rough dress, saying to yourself the while: " Is this the condition that I feared?"

-Seneca

You may be reluctant to give "things" up to save money and pay down your debt.  I know it's not easy.   It wasn't for me or Emily either, at first. Try it for a week, or dare I say month, and see how you do.  I bet you will come out on the other side saving more money than you expected.  You will also not be any worse off.  However, I bet there will still be a ton of people in the world not doing well at all.  Maybe you will say, "Is the condition that I feared?"

Start your debt journey.  It's worth it.  Just some random thoughts for a cold Friday!


"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."

John D. Rockefeller

Stay safe and warm,
Bryant and Emily Adler

No comments:

Post a Comment